Dr. Selvi Radhakrishna is a leading consultant oncoplastic surgeon of Chennai practicing at Chennai Breast Centre, Chennai, Tamilnadu.
Finishing her MBBS in 1988 from Madras Medical College, Dr. Selvi Radhakrishna undertook comprehensive training at Chennai & the United Kingdom leading to DNB (National board of India) in general surgery, FRCS (Edinburgh), and a Post graduate diploma in clinical oncology (University of Birmingham, UK) .
Understanding the need for a specialist breast service in India, especially by a lady surgeon, she undertook further training in Breast Cancer Surgery at Adyar-Cancer Institute and in the UK at Hull & Edinburgh breast units.
She returned to Chennai in 2007 to set up a state of the art breast cancer in Chennai called Chennai Breast centre. Dr. Selvi Radhakrishna is also an Adjunct Associate Professor in the Division of Molecular Medicine in St. John’s Research Institute of St. John’s National Academy of Health Sciences. She runs a trust called Sharana Breast Cancer Relief and Research Foundation a non-profitable, charitable, non-governmental organization, which aims to assist women during this very difficult phase of life when faced with the diagnosis of breast cancer. She is also the co-founder of Penn Nalam, a non-profit organization for women’s health.
She has made several presentations in national and international meetings on breast cancer and has many publications in the subject of breast cancer and breast imaging. She conducts regular skills course in breast imaging and interventions and has been a faculty for operative workshops and conferences across the country.
Chennai Breast Centre - I highly recommend this place to my family and friends.... The consultant and the staffs are super friendly and make u feel comfortable during your whole visit!. The clinic is well maintained and nicely organized. Dr. Selvi - She is the best! She has always been amazing, listens to all the problems and empathizes with the patients. Kudos to her and to the wonderful team!
Wonderful team. Dr.Selvi is super cool. She patiently and clearly answers all queries and tries to alleviate concerns of the patients
Wonderful team, doctor, service and environment. Always positive and confident in their treatment. Felt very reassured at every visit. Surgery was smooth and recovery was flawless... All doctors have smiling faces and are sound subject matter experts. Thank you Chennai Breast Center team for all your support. I highly recommend this center to all women in need of such service.
* MBBS 1989, Madras University.
* FRCS 1993, Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh
* General Surgery
* Dip NB 1998, National Board of India
* General Surgery
* PG diploma 2011, University of Birmingham
Professional registration and Memberships
Tamil Nadu Medical Council - 47068
General Medical Council (UK) - 5164445, Full registration
ASI Life member - FL15990
ABSI Life member - 000016
Dr. Selvi Radhakrishna has established a one stop breast centre called Chennai Breast Centre, at Chennai that is a part of the National Cancer grid and registered with the Breast cancer Network, European School of Oncology.
Chennai Breast Centre runs a diagnostic breast service and a level three breast oncoplastic breast surgical service. Since its inception in 2007, Chennai Breast Centre has grown rapidly to become a unique hub of skill sets which cuts across various facets of breast cancer management. In a short span of 11 years Chennai Breast Centre has treated over 2500 breast cancer patients. Currently Chennai Breast Centre registers about 2500 new patients a year, 270 new cancers and 3000 review patients a year. The centre is equipped with the state of the art diagnostic equipment for breast cancer care. Chennai Breast Centre currently works closely with the department of Biotechnology IIT and has a MOU with them to store breast cancer samples in the Tumour repository and conducting various research projects in partnership with the Biotechnology Department.
1. Laparoscopic hernia repair in Leicester General Hospital- a prospective audit of 94 patients.
Selvi Marappan et al. Ann Royal College of Surgeons of England.
2. Hormone replacement therapy and the risk of breast cancer in women with family history of breast cancer. Gynecology forum.
S. Radhakrishna. J. Fox
3. Effectiveness of immediate preoperative injection of radiopharmaceutical and blue dye for sentinel node biopsy in patients with breast cancer.
J.M. Dixon, C. Mak, S. Radhakrishna, T. Kehoe, A.M. Millar, D. Wong, J.St.J. Thomas
European Journal of Cancer March 2009 (Vol. 45, Issue 5, Pages 795-799)
4. Images: Granular Cell Tumour of the Breast Mimics a Malignancy.
Ayub, Muhamed Faizal; Radhakrishna, Selvi; Chakravarthy, Ranjani.
Indian Journal of surgical Oncology. (2010) 1: 294-302.
5. Expression of matrix metalloproteinases in human breast cancer tissues.
C.S. Benson. S.D. Babu, S. Radhakrishna, N. Selvamurugan,B. Ravi Sankar
Disease markers 00: 2013 1-11 Doi 10.3222/DMA-130986
6. Grade Dependent Expression of Growth Factor Receptors and Signaling Molecules in Breast Cancer.
Chellakkan Selvanesan Benson, Somasundaram Dinesh Babu, Selvi Radhakrishna, Nagarajan Selvamurugan, Bhaskaran Ravi Sankar
Journal of Cancer Therapy, 2013, 4, 21-31
7. Needle core biopsy for breast lesions: An audit of 467 needle core biopsies/ Selvi Radhakrishna, Anugayathri Jawahar, Deepa Chegu
ISMPO: Oct-Dec 2013/vol34/issue4.
8. Clinical response to primary letrozole therapy in elderly patients with early breast cancer. Possible role for p53 as a biomarker
Veerabhadram Garimella1Tasadooq Hussain1Vijay Agarwal, Selvi Radhakrishna, John N. Fox, Peter J. Kneeshaw, Ervine D. Long, Tapan K. Mahapatra, Penelope L. McManus, Michael J. Lind, Philip J. Drew, Lynn Cawkwell
International Journal of Surgery (London, England) Volume 12, Issue 8, Pages 821–826 2014
9. Synchronous bilateral breast cancers
J Clin Diagn Res 2015 Sep 1;9(9):XC05-XC08. Epub 2015 Sep 1.
Naveen Padmanabhan, Annapurneswari Subramanyan, Selvi Radhakrishna
10. Factors Influencing Non-sentinel Node Involvement in Sentinel Node Positive patients. Naveen Padmanabhan, Ann kurien, Md. Faizal, Selvi Radhakrishna
Indian J Surg Oncol. 2015 Dec; 6(4): 337–345
11. Outcomes of breast cancer management from an urban specialist centre in South India.
Naga Amulya, Kirti Katherine Kabeer, Naveen Padmanaban, Ramesh Nimmagadda, Selvi Radhakrishna. (Accepted for publication by IJMPO)
12. Radhakrishna S, Agarwal S, Parikh PM, et al. Role of magnetic resonance imaging in breast cancer management. South Asian Journal of Cancer. 2018;7(2):69-71. doi:10.4103/sajc.sajc_104_18.
13. Radhakrishna S, Cost-Effective breast cancer care in India.2018 vol 5, Issue number 1,(Page 1-2)
14. Treatment of elderly breast cancer in India. Published in Indian Journal of Cancer.
15. A multi-institutional real world data study from India of 3453 non-metastatic breast cancer patients undergoing upfront surgery
Dinesh Chandra Doval, Selvi Radhakrishna, Ramesh B. V. Nimmagadda
Nature Scientific Reports volume 10, Article number: 5886.
"My experience at Chennai Breast Centre was superior and well above medical treatment standards. The consultant and the nurses successfully treated me with unbelievable care and compassion."Read More
"Battling cancer is hard enough. At first, my husband and I were very concerned about where we were going to receive treatment in my fight for survival. After talking with the doctor at CBC, we knew that"Read More